Saturday, May 3, 2008

New Neighbors!

We have Carolina Wrens nesting in a hanging basket on our deck. I'm so excited, I feel like an expectant mom myself! I spied the nest sometime around April 12. On April 17, Olivia and I peeked in and saw eggs - 5 of them! We've spent the last few weeks watching the male bird bring insects to the mother bird as she sits on her eggs. Olivia, Grant and I did some web research and found out the following about our newest nesting neighbors:
  • Wrens will mate for life
  • Eat insects and spiders
  • They are territorial and will continue to nest in the area
  • The male will feed the female while she nests
  • Olivia's favorite: The male begins to build nests in several locations until the female chooses her favorite. She will help him finish building it.
Nest (note piece of Easter grass)..............................
Eggs.......................................

Mama Wren.....................................

1 comment:

Emily said...

Just found your blog - so cute! Do you intend to feed your new neighbors?