Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Bouncing Baby Birds

Our baby wrens hatched! (see New Neighbors post). I'm not sure when... I checked today and this is what I saw so I am guessing they started hatching over the last few days. They are tiny little balls of gray feathers with closed eyes. I didn't want to linger too long in case mom and dad were near but I was there long enough for them to start peeping for food. As soon as I stepped back the parents approached with food but they were none too pleased that I was there. Neither of them would approach the nest. Eventually one of them was brave enough (probably the female) so I snapped my photo of the feeding and then let them be.
In this photo, one baby has it's mouth open at the front of the nest, beak pointing up.


Here, one baby sprawled over the rest. If you look closely, you can see the whole bird. The beak is lined in yellow.


You can clearly see a wing and legs here.
Feeding time. I think it is a cricket.

No comments: