Monday, August 4, 2008

Mount Vernon

We arrived Saturday night to visit my family in Virginia. While we usually spend most of our time relaxing by the pool or strolling through my parents gardens (yes, i said gardenS!) we also try to take advantage of the infinite historical places to visit. Today, Grandma, Don, Grant and I traveled to Mount Vernon while Olivia stayed behind to have fun with cousin Danielle, and to harass Grandpa.I hadn't been there since I was 10ish yrs old so I had forgotten most of the details. One thing George Washington was proud of and wanted everyone to know was that he considered himself a farmer, first and foremost. His property extends over 8000 acres and was divided into five farms - each with its own overseers, workforce of slaves, livestock, equipments and buildings in an ideal location near the Potomac River. I HIGHLY recommend Mount Vernon to anyone who visits the DC area. How about this for a backyard view...George and Martha's Tombs...Grant and Grandma visit the "Necessary"... P.U.!!The new education center built two years ago is excellent and very kid-friendly even for a 3 year old.
Grant holding "Washy's" hand...Blueskin, one of George's two fave horses. An actual stuffed horse...Grant having a sniff of whiskey that George distilled...I do solemnly swear...Grant playing dress up...And the beautiful, huge pecan tree...

No comments: