Tuesday, June 30, 2009

More than the end of the year

This end of the year program was a little more than just the end of the school year for Grant. It is the end of his time at First Presbyterian Preschool. I want to thank First Pres (I think) for helping pull Grant out of his shell. It is a small, nurturing school, just what he needed. While it was perfect for years 2 1/2 - 3, we are in search of a little more for year 4.

One story that stands out in my mind was told to me by his teacher at our parent conference. She asked if Grant ever sings or performs for us at home.

No, not really, other than dancing around with Olivia, but nothing on his own.

Oh, really?
Well, each morning during share time, the teacher would ask if anyone had a story or song to share. And each morning, the girls in the class would volunteer to do just that. One particular morning, Grant raised his hand and said he had a song.

Really?? Grant got up and sang a song to the whole class?

The teacher expected, well, a song. He stands up and turns to face the class and starts making noises - all kinds of noises but mostly of the robotic, gun shooting, explosion type sounds, while wiggling his fingers and twisting his body. This lasted for about a minute. When he was finished, the teacher asked him what song that was and he said it was the "Transformers" song... which is funny because he hasn't seen the Transformers movie or cartoons. She tells me that each morning from then on, he would get up and "sing" his Transformers song.

I've tried to get him to do a repeat at home and he won't. So my only regret is that I didn't sneak in and film him from the bathroom.

Now that he is fully out of his shell, I wonder if the next school can help put some of him back? Just kidding...

End of the year performance...

Is it over yet?Seriously, I'm about to burst...Yay! Finally!Mommy and Grant...The best part... cupcakes with my BFF Weston...Maybe the ear tastes better?

1 comment:

Big Daddy said...

I'll take some fresh ear over yellow cake any day!