Sunday, July 20, 2008

Why do I miss south Florida

Let me count the ways...

#1 (by far!!) Nice Neighbors, but FABULOUS Friends
We never thought we'd stay in south Florida forever or even the six years that we did, but when it came time to leave it was brutally hard to say good-bye to people near and dear to us. For both of us that included friends, neighbors, colleagues - and some folks fit all THREE of those descriptions. WE MISS YOU ALL!#2 The Ocean
I am still in withdrawl stages of not living within biking distance of the ocean. While we visit a lot, it isn't quite the same. Especially this kind of ocean...#3 Jobs (really?!)
Who can say that they absolutely love their job? I did!!

Job #1: Broward Co. Department of Planning & Environmental Protection
For those of you who don't know (or can't believe it), you'd be amazed at what local government can do with the right leadership and staff. Many great mentors and friends there.

Job #2: Florida Sea Grant/Broward County... the one I adored...
and who wouldn't when you get to scuba dive, travel to the Caribbean and spend your days protecting the ocean.

#4 Shop 'till you drop
I love to shop. I admit it. So when it's Gainesville vs. south Florida - come on, not even close.

#5 Florida Keys
Drinking, Diving, Fishing. Someone once told me that if you don't enjoy these 3 things, you won't enjoy the Keys. I do enjoy these things, so no problem there. There is more to the Keys but I'm convinced that much of it is a state of mind. Some of my top 5 all time best memories have ties there and certainly Don and I wouldn't be together if if weren't for the Florida Keys.#6 The Everglades
A lot of people would never associate south Florida with nature but one would need only to read my top 10 to be proven wrong. Beautiful place. Unfortunate story. Promising Future??#7 Mangoes
There is no better fruit, and mango daiquiris aren't bad either. Our neighbors had a 60 yr old tree that produced the best tasting mangoes around - big, sweet, not stringy. They didn't like mangoes much so we had more than our share. It was a sad day when Hurricane Wilma knocked it down.#8 Let them eat!
Cuban, Jamaican, Persian, Indian, Thai, Greek, Seafood, Vegetarian, French, Brazilian, Peruvian, Cajun - to name just a few of our faves. We ate out ALL the time - way more than we should.

#9 Professional Sports
a. I was born a Packer fan (LaCrosse, WI circa 1969) and bred a Redskins fan. Go Skins! As such, there was no room for Miami Dolphins even if they have a cute mascot. But after 6 years of watching them play, reading about them in the sport sections, discussing them at the water cooler, working down the street from their practice facilities, going to some games... I did become somewhat of a Dol-fan (Ricky Williams saga and 1-15 season included). Now that we are 6 hours north and closer to the JAX Jaguars and TB Bucs, I still root for the Dolphins - and since the only allegiance in this town is to the Gators, I doubt I'll be switching anytime soon. Breaking news!: Jason Taylor was just traded to the Redskins!!! Maybe my chat with his wife started things in motion! (See Celebrity Sighting).

b. Florida Marlins (soon to be Miami Marlins)
As much as I enjoy sports, baseball doesn't do much for me. Too slow? Too boring? But we definitely had fun watching the 2004 Marlins team of no-names take the world series. Definitely caught some MLB fever that year (have since lost it... but it was a fun ride).

#10 My OB/GYN
I know there are a zillion potential jokes here...
However, really, he was just a great doctor and person as was his wife/office manager. They ran a small, family-oriented practice in a big city - hard to find genuine care like that any more. And he delivered both Olivia and Grant... or did the dolphins?????

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Toes at the beach: That looks like St. Croix!