Sunday, July 13, 2008

Our return to south Florida

...if only for two weeks...
The kids and I are back from a 2 week trip to south Florida. First, we traveled to the Keys for just two days so that Don could wrap up a few things and help grad students move to new quarters for the rest of the summer. We did manage to squeeze in a couple of boat trips through the mangrove-lined canals in the neighborhood they live in. Back in the day (when WE were the ones in grad school) these trips were aptly named rum-soaked-canal-cruises. Actually, now that I think about it, that designation still applies. From there we headed to Fort Lauderdale. Don had to take some helicopter flights and attend the International Coral Reef Symposium. Ironically, I was on the local organizing committee for the conference through my Sea Grant job before we moved to G'ville. It was bittersweet to see how well it turned out. Anyway, the kids and I tagged along and the four of us stayed in a hotel for 12 days. Granted, it was right on the beach in downtown Ft. Ldale, but still, 12 days! Wasn't sure how it would go and was definitely sure that the kids and I would be returning home sooner than later. However, we kept busy and saw many friends/neighbors/colleagues so the time flew much faster than I thought it would. Don remained down south for another 12 days to attend to research in the Keys. I'll be adding some of our adventures in forthcoming posts.
Note: The pic is from our Isle of Palms trip, not south Florida but I liked it and forgot to add it to the IOP post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool NEW stuff and very interesting!!!!
Karen