Sunday, September 21, 2008

Toads, Toads, and MORE Toads

On Saturday, to avoid being complete college football watching slugs, we took a walk through the woods to a park near our house. The kids brought their bug bags - we gave one to Olivia for her birthday and Uncle Jim/Aunt Terri gave Grant the exact same one this summer. They get a LOT of use. Olivia quickly scooped up a grasshopper. A short distance into the woods I saw a tiny toad hop in front of me so I bent down to get a better look. It was then that I noticed I wasn't alone and I was extremely outnumbered. There were hundreds of toads around me. And thousands more along the path to the park. They were EVERYWHERE. Wish I had my camera with me. I don't even want to guess how many we unknowingly squashed along the way.

Their loot...Skull and scales too... We also came across a dried up, picked-clean armadillo. Grant is holding its pelvis bone above and Olivia wanted to keep some of the bony armor plates that cover the outside of the armadillo's body (below).How cute...Hop, be free!

No comments: